Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Life on the other side

I won't lie, being a full time grad student with three kids, it's hard. And that's even with Terry watching the kids the whole time. He's really been doing a great job as a stay-at-home dad. I have no complaints. And not that he's ever belittled me or implied that my role as the stay-at-home parent is easy, but I'm hoping this gives him a little more insight into my more annoying habits like severe word-salad or not being able to finish a thought. After one week he started to have word-salad (that's when you mean to use one word but your mouth suddenly uses a completely random word that might have been on your mind hours ago) I laughed pretty hard when that happened.
He really has been exceptional though, and asks me for very little help.

And, being away from them is helping me appreciate them more, and think of ways that I can interact with them more when I have my old job back. It's refreshing, for me, to not be the one responsible for their care and upkeep every day, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the respite.

My grad classes are giving me the chance to remember why I want to go back to teaching, and are exciting me about the possibilities when I'm back in the classroom. It's also reminding me that I'm not just a mom, I'm also an academic with a brain in there, which has been nice. Since I'm nearly finished with this program (Middle Level Education), I'm already thinking about what I want to do next for furthering education in order to stay fresh AND keep my teaching certificate up to date.

Also, learning that Twitter is an outstanding educational resource, as long as you look for the right circles!

No comments: