Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Goodnight Peter

It's crazy, but true, I'm mourning Peter Jennings. He was my favorite, I watched him through all of 9/11, he was the only reporter I knew of that didn't take a single break. I want to cry like my favorite uncle died. My sister felt the same way, and wrote this email to me today that pretty much sums up my feelings:

I noticed that you wrote about Peter Jennings dying. It's stupid I know but I'm still really upset about that too. He was doing the World News when I started watching the news. There are not many people in this world that I can truly say that I admire but he was one of them. During 9/11 I watched him, not CNN. He added a personal note to reporting that most reporters try to keep out. He was the news as far as I'm concerned. No matter what was going on. And every night for the last five years he was actually the only guy I said goodnight to almost every night...literally. He'd end the news and say good night and I would say 'Goodnight Peter" to him...outloud. It's crazy I know, but true. He had an elegance and calm to him that I have never seen in most people...reporter or not. I wonder what ABC will do now? There is a special on tonight at 8 about him. It's hard to believe he's gone.


Don't call me tonight. I'll be watching and taping the story about Peter. (sniff)

No comments: