Wednesday, June 14, 2006

My New Neighbor

  After finding a similar dead one IN MY HOUSE after Memorial Day weekend, when I spotted this guy today, I quickly (and cautiously) took pictures. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a good close up because my camera isn't designed for that. This guy is about the diameter of a penny, and very "jumpy". He lives in a crack in front porch steps. After much internet research, I have discovered that he is called a "Bold Jumping Spider" (comforting, eh?) and his Latin name is Phidippus audax. I have yet to find out if he is dangerous. Any ideas? Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Odd Mix said...

There are only two dangerous spiders in the US - the black widdow and the brown recluse (fiddleback). Both are non-jumping web dwellers. Both are quite tiny. That is neither.

ieatcrayonz said...

Odd Mix is right. Just squish him...or let him eat your bugs for free.

Anonymous said...

You gotta WARN people, RHM, before you post pictures of awful spiders on your front page! I have arachniphobia and just went running from my desk when the picture loaded...

Unknown said...

YIKES scary!!!! Oh I would freak out if I saw this thing.