Tuesday, June 10, 2008

No More Waiting

 Simon Benjamin was born Friday night at 9:45pm. He was born 5 weeks early, at 6lbs 8oz. He's presently staying at the Special Care Nursery at our hospital, but is doing very well. It's sort of weird to come home without the baby, but I have two others to distract me!

My water broke Friday night, just as we had gotten to the campground and were preparing to set up the tent. Luckily, it was only 15 minutes north of town, and we were able to get to the hospital quickly. My doctor came in and delivered him by c-section, due to my previous c/s.

On a sadder note, I learned early Monday morning that my OB doctor, who had just delivered Simon two nights previous, had died in his sleep of a heart attack. Had Simon not came early, Dr. Murphy wouldn't have been around to deliver him. He was a very cool man, and I liked him a lot. He delivered all of my babies and took very good care of me, we had a great relationship. The town is in mourning right now, especially the Maternity ward at the hospital and at his office. One of his partners was the man who told me the news Monday morning.

It's a weird time for me, I'm happy that Simon is doing well and healthy, but it's strange not having him here with me. I'm dealing with post-delivery hormones, fried brain, healing from a c-section, and on top of it mourning the loss of Dr. Murphy. It's a lot of emotion and I just don't feel like myself.

But, I'm trying to keep it in perspective, and my mom is here to help me. My crazy summer just got a little crazier.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Rachael Elisabeth-Cahours Acklin said...

Oh, my goodness, honey!

I'm so glad your little boy is well and that you're also well - congratulations! :)

And I'm so sorry for your loss. How very sad. :(

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. He's beautiful, with a wonderful name. I was surprised you were going camping! Simon had other plans. I'm sorry for the loss of your doctor, and happy that he was able to deliver your little guy. Take good care. Such a tough time, so many emotions mixed together.