Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Christmas Tradition

My family did our Christmas this morning, aS we will be else where on Christmas. And as my kids began to tear into their gifts, I had a moment of panic that we had not put out all the gifts. I prepared myself to go down to the basement to find whatever might be missing...and then I smiled to myself, and thought of my mom.

Mom was notorious for forgetting to put out a couple gifts. During gift opening, she'd inevitably be mumbling to herself,"Now WHERE are those jeans I got for __________?" Later in the day, maybe the day after Christmas, she'd find it and hand it over to whoever had unknowingly been "shorted". I always wondered how in the world she could misplace the gifts so often. However, after a couple years of buying gifts for three children, I just want to tell her, "I finally understand, Mom, I finally understand."
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

4 comments:

Salome Ellen said...

The twelve days of Christmas last all the way till January 6th. I know a family that opens a present a day for twelve days (give or take)so that all they have to find for the 25th is one per person!

amanda aspenson said...

love it!

LeeAnn said...

Very sweet story, Denise. What a lovely small tribute to your mom.

PS. Isn't blogging from the phone awesome?!!

Redhead Mommy said...

yes, I dare say I'll be blogging more with the phone app! REALLY enjoying my Droid X!!